Yesterday it was an unseasonably warm 70ºF in Oklahoma but my taste buds were telling me otherwise. I was craving winter soup and had some extra squash on hand. I've also been consuming obscene amounts of coconut lately. Coconut water after my workout. Coconut milk in my coffee (surprisingly delicious). And I've been cooking almost exclusively with coconut oil. I wasn't sure if coconut and butternut squash went together so I Googled it and came across this recipe. But I adapted it because I don't eat anything without garlic.
Butternut Squash & Coconut Soup
1 small butternut squash
2 smallish-medium acorn squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 small apples, any variety, diced
2 cups water
2 teaspoons yellow curry powder (I get mine blended from Native Roots)
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
4 cloves of garlic
Pinch of ras el hanout
1/2 14-ounce can coconut milk (save the rest for your coffee)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Use your favorite method to roast the squash (I like to cut in half, scoop seeds out, sprinkle with olive oil & salt and roast in a pan with .5" of water for 45 minutes at 400F - until tender)
2. When there is about 10 minutes left on the squash saute the diced onion in coconut oil.
3. Mince the garlic and ginger in a food processor (or by hand - whatever floats your boat)
4. When onions are translucent add the garlic, ginger and diced apples. Saute for about a minute and then add your spices. When the spices become fragrant (after about 30 seconds) add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
5. Scoop the squash out of the skin (this is the most labor-intensive part of the process) and add to the soup. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add coconut milk - let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
7. Blend the soup with an immersion blender or in your food processor.
8. Salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with coconut flakes.
This recipe is vegan and serves 2-4 people.
Ingredients in green are sourced locally.
J & K started this blog project to document the remodel of their 1929 historical home in the heart of Oklahoma City. It has now turned into a documentation of life, food, fashion, freelance, inspiration, design, adventures and details around the J & K house.
Kathleen works as an award-winning brand consultant and designer specializing in small business branding at Braid Creative & Consulting. Jeremy is a software engineer and is the left-brain to Kathleen’s right.
You can contact Kathleen at
jeremyandkathleen (at) gmail (dot) com.
All photos and graphics by Kathleen unless otherwise stated. Feel free to use them with permission or credit.
Anatomy of an Outfit
Sometimes I like to get dressed and take pictures of myself. For all of my outfit posts click here.
Freelance Matters: A series about how I tackle freelance issues such as estimating, billing, to-do lists and how to fire a client.
Trekking to Everest
In October 2010 Jeremy and I trekked through the Himalayas to Mt. Everest Base Camp. It completely changed my life. Read about the entire adventure, day-by-day, here.
Braid is a creative & consulting business I own with my sister. We do branding and business visioning for creative entrepreneurs. On the Braid blog I share branding adventures, how-to articles and advice on the creative process. If you need a little brand therapy of your own visit Braid or subscribe to the Braid blog RSS feed here.
What We Eat
We like to eat really good food - at least 3 times a day. Sometimes I blog about it - click here for recipes and yummy ideas.
J & K: Blog Archive
- Anatomy of an Outfit: Business Time
- Alt: The People
- Alt: Round Table
- Are you a ... Blogger?
- Anatomy of an Outfit: Limbo
- Butternut Squash and Coconut Soup
- The Traveler
- Alt Summit
- Eff DIY
- A Braid Update
- Why Mister Scooty Boots Is On My Sh*t List. Again....
- Anatomy of an Outfit: A Mish Mash
- Freelance Matters | When To Work For Free
- Tea and Meditation
- Girl Crush: Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley
- ▼ January (16)
- ► 2011 (257)
- ► 2010 (387)
- ► 2009 (406)
- Eva Black | Spaces
- Emma Dime
- Life as an Artistpreneur
- Jane Reaction
- Ink & Letters
- Meg Biram | The Edit
- Sarah Von Bargen's Small Biz Blog
- Design Crush
- The Equals Record
- Emmarie Designs
- Rory Gordon
- Yellow Brick Home
- The Creatives Project
- Silly Grrl
- Photographers Skeen
- The Clothes Make the Girl
- Bringing Design Home
- Pip & Estella
- A Practical Wedding
- Kind of a Sideshow
- Sandra Juto
- Old Sweet Song
- Rambling Renovators
- Brooklyn Bride
- Design Crush
- Experiment in Poverty
- The Jealous Curator
- Making it Lovely
- Dressing on the Side
- The Oklahoman
- Young House Love
- Oh So Beautiful Paper
- A Cup of Jo
- Brooklyn Limestone
- Glamour Weddings